Sunday, February 21, 2010

First Big Achievement

When you are trying to lose weight or get in shape, I think it's very important to set goals that don't involve the scale. The scale fluctuates so much, that sometimes it can be downright depressing, or deceiving. Yes, if you are trying to lose weight, in general you need to see that number on the scale go dowwwwwwwnnnnn, but you can't set yourself up for failure by only judging your success by the scale.

Many say that you should take measurements, so you can track your progress. I agree. However, I detest small and minute tedius details and having to spend half an hour every week taking measures to see if a I made a milimeter of progress? No thanks. I can guarantee that wouldn't work for me. So, I had to find other ways to track progress. I'm still trying to figure this one out. Sure the whole "are your clothes fitting you better" thing works great, but that tends to take a little longer to see.

So....while I haven't found a good way to track weightloss other than the scale and taking your measurements, I did however see progress yesterday!!! Yipee!!! First of all, I did manage to lose those yucky pounds I gained during my slacker week (and did lose an additional pound that I didn't gain), but what I was most excited about was the ever so slight microscopic hint of toning in my shoulders. You know that scene in Titanic where Jack and his friend are standing at the front of the boat (sorry, I am not up to speed on correct boat lingo) and his friend says he can see the Statue of Liberty and then in his very cute accent says, "It's very small ofcourse." That's kind of how I felt about the definition in my shoulders. It's very small and barely noticable, BUT I SAW IT! I don't think other people would notice it just yet, but then again, they don't stand infront of a mirror everyday critiquing my body like I do. :) I was just so incredibly excited to see the beginning of results from working out. I guess tomorrow when I'm doing more squats combined with military presses, I can't curse too much because I know they are starting to work!

So, here's to those victories that you gain off of the scale!


No comments:

Post a Comment